Friday, April 15, 2011

Assignment #5: Sorry Readers, No Life Lesson For You.

This is for all of you Seinfeld fans reading this post.
I've read a couple of other people's posts to see what they would write about if they were going to write a book, and I found that a lot of them had these deep morals. I don’t know if it was just how Assignment #5 was worded, or if everyone's posts that I read had morals to them, but for me, I probably wouldn’t write a story with any meaning at all. I just don’t see myself that deep, and I don't really feel as if I have any life lessons to share. If I were to be an author, I’d probably just write a book that means nothing. Just a book that would be fun to read, maybe like an action or comedy. The story of my book would probably be really cliché, where it is a storyline that has probably been seen by a lot of people before. The main character would probably be a normal teenager, who is thrust into an abnormal situation. There would be lots of obstacles for the main character to overcome. He’d meet people along the story that he liked and didn't like. He’d probably fight bad guys, and at the beginning of every fight appear to be losing. But just when the reader thinks he’s done for, he makes a comeback and wins (everybody loves an underdog). At the end, he’d probably face off against some kind of main villain, and win. I would try and make the story fun and exciting to read, and I would probably write the story in a nonlinear fashion like Vonnegut, where the story is kind of all over the place. I would try and make the book a "page turner", where the reader wants to read on and on and on. I'd try and make the book as exciting as I could, but I just don't see myself trying to enforce a message or a lesson onto people.

3 comments:

  1. Exactly what I was thinking, who needs morals? All kids care about is senseless violence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. I don't know if I just have an immature mind, but don't really read fiction to learn a lesson. I read it for fun, and I don't really see myself writing a book any other way then that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you guys too. While most fiction novels involve morals and all sorts of lessons learned, writing from a pure entertainment standpoint is much more enjoyable IMHO. Still, lessons could be learned any basic act, it just depends on how you interpret things.

    ReplyDelete